Tuesday

Del Sol Press First Novel Competition to Award Second and Third Place Winners With a New York Pitch Conference

New York Pitch and Algonkian
Success Stories
Del Sol Press, in cooperation with Algonkian Writer Conferences, will award the second and third place winners of their first novel competition with a trip to the New York Pitch Conference where they can pitch their manuscripts to professional editors.

The New York Pitch Conference is held four times a year and features publishing house editors from major houses such as Penguin, Random House, St. Martins, Harper Collins, Tor and Del Rey, Kensington Books and many more who are looking for new novels in a variety of genres, as well as narrative non-fiction. The event focuses on the art of the novel pitch as the best method not only for communicating the work, but for having the novel taken seriously by industry professionals.
_________

"The New York Pitch Conference is everything it claims to be and more... Because the conference participants are screened, editors know they are not wasting their time. Each editor I pitched listened carefully, giving suggestions and asking questions that improved my pitch... Whether or not my manuscript had been requested, I would have learned if my novel had commercial appeal and how to best pitch it. Leaving the conference, I felt confident that my novel did have potential and that I could effectively query an agent or editor.

My novel was requested by four of the five editors I pitched. Tessa Woodward at Harper Collins quickly made an offer for it, and Paula Munier, who had read my first page at the conference, represented me to negotiate a contract.

I spent five years researching and writing my novel before I went to the Pitch Conference. For the past year, I had been querying agents and submitting to small presses. One agent requested it then didn't even bother to email back to reject it. Two other small presses rejected it and all other agents and presses didn't even reply. I owned a copy of Writer's Market, I had written what I thought was a good pitch, I researched each agent and press so I could tailor my query. Still, nothing was happening.

Attending the Algonkian Pitch Conference was an investment in my career as a writer. For me, it paid off beyond my wildest dreams. No matter what, though, it would have been worth it for what I learned."


- Kim Van Alkemade, signed by Harper Collins

_____________

Del Sol Press seeks to publish exceptional work by both new and recognized writers. Emphasis is on original, unique, and accessible work with an edge. They are only interested in the very best work, regardless of source or type. 

No comments:

Post a Comment